My Family

If you are new to this blog and want to read the entire story chronologically - please start in January with "Our Story, Part 1"

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Our Story, Part 3 - The beginning of our family

After we got the call that we could go and pick them up I had no idea what to expect, but I couldn’t sit still for two seconds! We were on our way to my in-laws for dinner that night and they had no idea that we would possibly be bringing a surprise!

We had been informed that Bryan and Cole were at their grandma’s house (she lived across from Ruth) and we were to pick them up there. Bryan was playing in the living room and I went into the kitchen to get Cole’s bottle, etc. They packed us a diaper bag (I guess looking back I should have been prepared with something) and then we carried their car seats out to our little gold Saturn.

Cole and Mykel, about an hour after we picked him up.

I swear it took us a half hour trying to figure out how to hook the car seats in (what can I say; we were definitely amateurs at this kind of thing). After we got Cole and Bryan buckled up, Mykel and I spoke with their biological grandma. We were trying to figure out their schedule and what time we needed to bring them back Sunday night….

She said “don’t bring them back, it will be too hard to say goodbye again” ~ I honestly couldn’t believe my ears, I had no response, I had so many unanswered questions but I couldn’t mouth the words and form a coherent sentence. At that point I think Mykel and I were in the “shock and awe” stage. I can’t even remember what was said after that.

Bryan and Cole on their second day with us.

We didn’t waste much time talking because it was so cold outside and the boys were waiting in the car. I cannot imagine how their grandmother felt, let alone Ruth, knowing that they would be leaving and not coming back. It was a bittersweet feeling for me.


Mykel and I got in the car; looked at each other, looked at the two little boys in the back seat (who were intently staring at us with their beautiful brown eyes) and I said -
“I guess we are parents now!”

3 comments:

  1. Camille, What an amazing story! It is so touching. I am glad you are sharing it.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm bawling my eyes out, and it's still not enough!!! I thought I kind of knew the story, but apparently not like I thought. It is truly amazing. They are beautiful and so are you. namaste ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't IMAGINE what that would have been like! I love Mykel's face in the last picture...fits perfect with this story! I'm going to keep reading...off I go!

    ReplyDelete