My Family

If you are new to this blog and want to read the entire story chronologically - please start in January with "Our Story, Part 1"

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Ava meets her birth father!


Last October my daughter Ava had the opportunity to meet her birth father. His name is Tony, and he and I have kept in touch over the years. Once in a while he will call and talk to Ava, or Ava will send him little messages and videos on my iPhone.  We share pictures via Facebook, but Ava had never met him in person (at least since she was about one year old).

My children all know their birth mother, but none of them have met their birth fathers except for the first few months of their lives. All three of my boys share the same mother and father, but my daughters have different dads. My boys would like to meet their birth father but we don’t have any information about him except his name (we have never seen a picture of him).

Ava has known about her birth father since the beginning. I have pictures of him in her photo album and she has talked to him on and off over the years but had never met face to face until last fall.


Tony’s mother (Ava’s grandmother), sadly passed away last year (Ava was able to talk to her and send her a short video before she passed on).   When Tony came to the funeral he was only a few hours away from us. He sent me a text on a Saturday morning and asked if he could see Ava. We made arrangements to meet a few hours later at the same McDonald’s that we met at years ago when Ava was first placed with us. Ava was so excited! I also brought my son Bryan because he knew Tony, (Bryan lived with Ruth when Tony and Ruth were dating).


Ava looks so much like her biological father!

Tony adores Ava and is very respectful of our family.

Tony is Native American from the Ute Tribe and he gave Ava some of her grandmother’s jewelry. She has an amazing heritage and I want her to know about her family and ancestors.

I love that my children can know their birth parents.

Thank you Tony for taking the time to come see us!
Thank you for allowing Ava to be part of our family as well!



5 comments:

  1. That is very, very special and unique! Wonderful! I hope she have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so fun to see your kids grow and learn about life and themselves

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog,wanted comment tell you I love reading it. I too am adopted and last year at 28 years old was able to meet my birth mom. What an emotional time it was,but so glad I have been able keep contact with her. I think you are such a wonderful person and mom,I love reading your posts, it so great that more and more people are starting to open up and talk about adoption. When I was adopted 30 years ago July 30, 1982 adoption wasn't open or even talked much about, I remember being elementary age and being made fun of for being adopted, so it warms my heart that you are so open and honest about your family and the love you have for all your children. In elementary being made fun of was hard until one day my mom told me this to say to the children teasing me
    kinda with a giggle,laugh I would proudly say this "my mom GOT to pick me,your mom got what she got" it has always been a running funny around our house how loved we all are that WE GOT PICKED :)
    I hope you don't mind me following your blog, it truly warms my heart to read it. I would love to share with you my wonderful but hard but awesome story on being adopted.
    Have a great day, thank you for your amazing example
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristina, Thank you for your comment! I love what your mom came up with to say to the children who were giving you a hard time! I would love to hear your story, it is so great to hear other people's experiences, so please feel free to share! You can e-mail me at camhenrie@gmail.com. I have not checked my blog for months, so forgive me for taking so long to respond! I think it is time to start writing again!

      Delete
  4. Such a sweet story.

    ReplyDelete